Taking a detox bath is a great way to remove toxins and heavy metals from the body. My favorite herb to use for a detox bath is bentonite clay. After taking a bentonite clay bath, I feel so fresh and clean!
Bentonite Clay is a naturally-forming clay which magnetically pulls toxins, heavy metals and wastes from the body. In fact, it does such a great job that Peruvian Macaws eat bentonite clay before they eat poisonous fruit (which is their main source of food at certain times of the year).
Bentonite clay also lowers the body's PH levels, making it a perfect substance to take internally or use externally.
How do you know if you have heavy metals in your body?
Most of us are bombarded with heavy metals on a regular basis. Here are ways we consume and breathe in heavy metals:
- Drinking water
- Eating non-organic produce
- Taking antibiotics
- Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides sprayed on lawns, gardens, in homes, etc.
- Cigarette smoke
- Mercury dental fillings (high levels of mercury are released in the body every time you chew)
- Pharmaceutical drugs
- Skin-tightening creams
- Antiseptic creams
- Some ointments
- Using aluminum cookware
- Using foil when baking
- Using antiperspirant deodorants
Heavy metals in our body can lead to health problems, and some are serious:
- Muscle cramps
- Bad breath
- Abdominal pain
- Hearing damage
- Vision damage
- Brain damage
- Cerebral palsy
- Parkinson's disease
One way to remove toxins and heavy metals is by taking a bentonite clay bath. It is typically recommended to take a clay bath about once a month. If you have never taken benonite clay baths, it's a good idea to take one once a week for about a month, and then once a month. It's impossible to remove all the metals in your body by simply taking one bath. Taking a detox bath on a regular basis will help to draw the metals out little by little that have accumulated over the years, plus clean out the metals we come in contact with on a regular basis.
How to take a detox bath
There are 2 ways:
- Pour benonite clay in a bath of hot water, breaking up the clumps. Some recommend using a pound of clay per bath, others recommend 2 pounds. I always go with the two pounds to make sure there's enough clay in the water to do a good job.
- Soak in the clay bath for 20-30 minutes. While soaking, grab pieces of floating clay and rub it behind the ears, around the neck, in the arm pits, on the underside of knees, around the groin area - this will help the body release more toxins through these areas. Metals tend to settle close to these areas of the body as well.
- Mix a couple pounds of benonite clay with enough water to make a thick muddy consistency. DO NOT USE ANY METAL AT ALL. Use glass or wood to stir and mix the clay. If you don't use all that's in the bowl, store in the fridge for about a week and use within that time. When the clay is mixed with water, it expires within a week, but keeps very long in the powdered form.
- Stand in the bathtub and rub the clay all over the body - face, neck, arms, chest, back, legs, feet, hands (scalp if you use toxic coloring on your hair), etc. For the best results, do not leave an inch of your body uncovered. Make sure to cover the groin area also, but not inside the private areas.
- Leave the clay on the body for 20-30 minutes. The clay will dry on your body and become hardened during this time. Turn on the shower and rinse well.
I have used both methods for a detoxing bath. It seems to me that the second method does a better job of removing the toxins, but the first method is more relaxing.
After taking this bath and draining the water, you will notice black or green stuff mixed in with the clay - it may even be very slimy. You are seeing the wastes and toxins you've been carrying in your body, right before your very eyes!! What a wonderful feeling to be rid of it!
All bentonite clay is not created equal. Most of it is not mined for internal use and is not of the best quality.
The Bulk Herb Store carries Bentonite clay that is unsurpassed in purity and quality!
Getting rid of toxins and heavy metals is a step in the right direction for healing and preventing disease. Enjoy the purifying, clean, refreshing feeling of making a bentonite clay detox bath a part of your life!