Monday, August 8, 2011

How Many Pounds Are In A Bushel?

Do you ever see produce that is sold for a "bushel"  somewhere, and then you see someone else selling the same thing "per pound" ~ you wonder which is the better deal?  So how many pounds are in a bushel?...Well it depends on what it is!  A bushel of spinach leaves is going to weigh a whole lot different than a bushel of peaches.  I found this handy list that tells about how much a bushel is for different grains and produce.  I hope it helps you too!
Grain Bushel Sizes

Alfalfa - 60 lb. a bushel
Barley - 48 lb. a bushel
Clover - 60 lb. a bushel
Corn, ear - 70 lb. a bushel
Flax - 60 lb. a bushel
Millet - 50 lb. a bushel
Oats - 32 lb. a bushel
Rape - 60 lb a bushel
Rye - 56 lb. a bushel
Soybeans - 60 lb. a bushel
Wheat - 60 lb. a bushel

Fruit & Vegetable Bushel Sizes
Apples - 48 lb. a bushel
Lima Beans - 30 lb. a bushel
Pole Beans - 28 lb. a bushel
Snap Beans - 30 lb. a bushel
Cow Peas - 60 lb. a bushel
Cucumbers - 48 lb. a bushel
Eggplant - 33 lb. a bushel
English Peas - 30 lb. a bushel
Muscadines - 50 lb. a bushel
Okra - 26 lb. a bushel
Mustard Greens - 18 lb. a bushel
Onions - 57 lb. a bushel
Peaches - 50 lb. a bushel
Sweet Potatoes - 50 lb. a bushel
Spinach - 20 lb. a bushel
Tomatoes - 53 lb. a bushel
Turnips - 54 lb. a bushel
Turnip Greens - 16 lb. a bushel
(source)

(photo source)
I found peaches for $1.89 a pound, and then someone else selling them for $20 a bushel.  According to this chart, it would cost me about $94.50 to buy a bushel of peaches at $1.89 a pound.  So obviously I went with the bushel for $20 this time! ;)
I hope you're enjoying buying or growing fresh produce as much as I am!

2 comments:

  1. Jill,
    What a great way to explain this. I would like to buy more at roadside stands, etc., but have always felt uncertain about what is a fair price. Those peaches were a deal!
    I'm at Deeprootsathome.com
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Jacqueline! I always wonder what the better deal is ~ by bushel or by pound? I decided to find out once and for all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...