Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap

For those of you that would prefer a powdered laundry soap, here's a great recipe to try:

Powdered Homemade Detergent

Ingredients

  • 1 Cup Fels Naptha Grated Soap (Can use Ivory if Fels Naptha is not in your area)
  • 1/2 Cup Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
  • 1/2 Cup Borax

Instructions

  1. Combine all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
  2. For each load of laundry use 1 TBS. If extremely dirty you can add a second TBS.         
  3. SO EASY!!!!

 

I can find these ingredients in the cleaning or laundry aisle of my local Wal-Mart.  It only costs about 2 cents per load of laundry with homemade detergent.  It's such a GREAT savings.  It also makes clothes smell great and get clean.  You really should try it! :)  Happy cleaning!

Click below to view my recipe on: 

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap.

This post is linked to:
A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

10 comments:

  1. It's so easy and inexpensive! Thanks for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,

    I'm stopping by from the Like a Bubbling Brook Biblical Womanhood Friday. Your blog is wonderful! Very informative! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by my blog: http://oliveplantsallaroundmytable.blogspot.com

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you, Lisa! Thanks for stopping by - I'll check out your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you grate the soap yourself or can you buy soap already grated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grate the soap myself. I'm not sure if you can buy grated soap, but I'm sure you can! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. I have been researching for months on homemade powdered laundry soap recipes. I see that your recipe says NOT on the baking soda but yes on the borax. I have been told that borax is only good in very hot water so it shouldn't be used in cold water batches. Also, the baking soda, I was told, keeps the washing soda from hitting its prime and harsh pH of 11. I know that with oven cooking, baking soda becomes washing soda. Can you please give me your reasoning behind the ingredients in your powdered laundry soap? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not come up with this recipe myself and I honestly don't remember where I got it from. I've never researching the why's of the borax and washing soda - it's just a recipe I like! :)
      I only emphasized not the baking soda because it would be easy for a person to grab baking soda in the cooking aisle instead of washing soda in the laundry aisle.
      I apologize that I cannot be of more help to you in your endeavor! Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  6. Is this safe for HE washers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm not sure! I would check with the manufacturer.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...